Monday 1 February 2010

The Longest Day - Part II

SYDNEY AIRPORT, AUSTRALIA - 1st February 2010

continuing from Part I...

Surprisingly enough, little has changed here in Sydney Airport in the 17 days since I was last here, and most importantly there are still free internet terminals for crucially important tasks like this blog.

The last sentence is, for those of you impervious to written irony, a total lie, made poignantly clear when placed next to the genuinely crucial task facing me presently - attempting to book my ferry from Buenos Aries to Colonia del Sacramento (in Uruguay) for this afternoon (which, adjusting for time zones, is 5am tomorrow Sydney time). Ridiculous time calculations aside, it's a simple enough job - my Qantas flight lands at 10am local time in BA, and want to get on the 4.15pm ferry to Colonia that arrives at 5.30pm. Should be simple enough task, given the sleek website and English option... but naturally, things don't work so easily.

For reasons unknown, I am able to register my name, identification details, choose my ferry crossing, and get to the penultimate page of the booking process, only to have to stupid system refuse to accept that I've input any passenger details... regardless how many times I re-type them right there and then. There's no choice but to give up... but if I land in BA in 13 hours time to discover that that ferry is fully booked, there's gonna be one angry backpacker and an inevitable literary litany to follow.

First though, it's time to cross the Pacific!

No comments:

Post a Comment